Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's finals time again.  I hate finals time.


I don't hate finals time for the finals... tests can be fun, and if nothing else, they mean I either get to flex some mental muscle, or will never again have to sit through a lecture on a subject I couldn't possibly care less about and have no intention of practicing.

I hate finals time for what it does to the average law student.  It takes a normally rational, if overly-ambitious individual, and turns him/her into a complete and utter lunatic.  People who you have never seen with a cigarette in their little fingers become chain-smoking maniacs.  By 9a.m., most patrons of the library have consumed the better part of an entire pot of coffee.  The stress is palpable, the anxiety contagious, the blood pressure visible in the flushed cheeks and popping-veins of my peers...  I hate finals time.

I do most of my studying, for what it's worth, in one of the many coffee shops in town.  Or ensconced in my cushy couch... though, this often leads an afternoon/evening of my staring at the television rather than absorbing Equal Protection.  Problem?  Not always.

This year is a bit better than last... as a 1L, I was among the frenzied and frazzled masses.  This year, however, I know just enough to know I know enough... and to pace myself as exams approach.  And also to drink more as finals approach, being an avid proponent of the 'Buffalo Theory.'

So, why start a blog?  Well, I'm here on my couch (see infra), surrounded by Business Association materials, with College football on the television.  I'm sure as hell not studying... which begs the question of why I'm drinking coffee at 7:00p.m.  

Why am I drinking coffee?  Anyway... 

So, why start a blog.  
I intend to use this little mass of letters and numbers as a tool.  The best advice an experienced writer can provide an aspiring one is simply to write... and to do so often.  Editing has its place, but is better left to the professional.  Me?  I like writing, as it helps me work out problems in my convoluted thought and decision making processes.  Am I an aspiring writer?  Probably not, but I once heard someone I respect say "scratch a lawyer, find a fiction writer."  I don't know what that says about our legislative process... I'm going to just go with it.

Also, I've been privy to plenty of funny sh*t that has happened over the past two years, where I, or someone close to me has commented on a desire to document the event in some way.  Usually with an expletive or two.  Needless to say, I look forward to chronicling the many embarrassing events involving my friends... and inevitably, yours truly.

Also, while many people will realize who is writing this (probably as a result of my telling them) I like the idea of being able to write with a certain amount of anonymity. 

Here's hoping I'm able to keep up, and here's hoping this doesn't suck.  
Thanks for reading... feel free to let me know what you think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment