Saturday, November 24, 2007

So I never used to like scotch.  In fact, I was likely the only person in my family who didn't appreciate scotch, with the *possible* exception of my 10 year old sister.  But that's a story for another time... 


Then I met a friend... let's call him, due to a lack of imagination and a general appreciation for irony, "Scotch."  

"Scotch" knows more about the stuff than anyone I've ever met.  As a result of hanging out with him, I've grown to appreciate the intricacies, nuances, and other large, descriptive words having to do with scotch.  Due to his influence, my friends' willingness to always try something new, and our inherent pretentiousness as law students, we've been doing different "nights."  Bourbon night, scotch night, etc.  There's a lot to learn about the various alcohols out there, and for those of us who thought of scotch as Dewars, and Whiskey/Bourbon as Jack Daniels... well, we all knew we had a lot to learn. 

"Scotch" was able to teach us.  We are forever grateful.

Before, I was a vodka man.  Now, vodka bores me.  There's so much more you can do with good bourbon, scotch, or gin.  With vodka, most drinks are nothing more than vain attempts to mask the flavor of the alcohol.  Sadly, that's true of most drinks, but vodka in particular.  But I digress.

The purpose of this post was to tell you to drink scotch.  If you don't like it, learn to.  It's worth the effort, the expense, and the relatively small amount of time it will take.  

Our last evening consisted of the following:

Dalmore Cigar Malt
Macallan 10
Oban 14
Lagavulin 16
Aberlour 12
Aberlour a'bunadh (cask strength)
Highland Park 12
Jura 10
Aberlour 10
Speyburn 10
(thanks Tom, for the list and pic.)

The Lagavulin was ridiculously good... peaty and smoky, and yet not overpowering like a Laphroig might be.  The Aberlour 12 was great as well.  With the exception of a freak shot of Laphroig 30 bought by a friend in Portland, these two maintain the first two spots on my list.  But then, who cares about my list?  Even I don't care about my list. 

I'm done ranting.  Moral here?  Learn to drink scotch.  It's worth it.  Especially if you're in law school... we need all the booze we can get.

3 comments:

Ken Basin said...

Hiya! I actually came across the link to your blog from the Endearing Neurosis blog too. I read this rant about scotch last night and found it highly compelling. I, too, have found myself drawn from vodka toward the gins and scotches of the world. Law firm receptions with bottomless pits of Hendrick's gin and Johnny Walker Blue Label sped that along.

Also love the "overheard in the library" stuff. So I, too, say keep it up. And have fun with the 2L thing. It's quite possible to turn it into as laid back of an experience as 3L if you're committed to making that happen.

tom said...

mmm...scotch... Lets do another scotch and scrabble day at my house and Ill try to be there this time, okay?

Epitaph said...

Scotch, you say? Scrabble, you say?
Abso-fuckin-lutely, says I.

Post a Comment